Join the Windhorse Publications team!On Mon, 4 September, 2023 - 12:46
There is an opportunity to join the small vibrant team at Windhorse Publications, and contribute to making life changing books on Buddhism, mindfulness and meditation available around the world.
We are a vital part of the Triratna Buddhist community and respected within the wider world of Buddhist publishing. With a rich history of nearly 50 years of producing insightful and life changing books, we publish books by Sangharakshita, Triratna Order members and other authors on Buddhism, meditation and mindfulness.
The new Operations manager will have oversight of all the core functions of the charity and business, manage the backlist (titles which have already been published), and contribute to the ongoing development of Windhorse Publications.
You’ll be perfect for the job if you:
- Are practical, hardworking, confident, creative and with excellent attention to detail.
- Have a good head for systems and figures (finance and spreadsheets). You’ll want to be a bit of an all rounder to enjoy this job, troubleshooting issues related to printing, distribution, quality control, and more.
- Love books and the Dharma, and are committed to spreading the Dharma to support Buddhist, mindfulness and meditation practice. Being a Buddhist is an occupational requirement for the job.
- Are clear, effective and compassionate in your communication.
- Can identify inefficiencies, optimise processes, and research options - strong analytical skills are needed. You are able to set timelines, allocate resources and ensure projects stay on track.
- Are adaptable and have good interpersonal skills to negotiate on behalf of Windhorse Publications with traders, printers, distributors and readers. The publishing landscape is ever-evolving.
- Are willing and able to research options, evaluate information and make independent decisions.
- Are numerate, literate and not afraid of learning new things in the world of publishing technologies, trends, platforms and opportunities.
- Want to be part of a culture of Dharma practice and right livelihood, and integrity in the work that we do.
- Have an excellent command of written English.
More about the job:
You can find a Job Description here.
Skills, Qualifications and experience:
There are many possible routes into a job like this. You might come in through previous work in research, management, or another small business or charity. This is a job with a lot of responsibility and room for decision making and initiative, so we are looking for:
- someone with a degree (preferably in Business Administration, Publishing, research or a related field),
- experience in a comparable role for 2 or more years,
- or be able to demonstrate transferable skills that match the job.
On-the-job training will be provided, and you would work with experienced and skilled colleagues.
What we offer
- A permanent position (after a period of probation) at four days per week.
- A salaried post (rather than a support package) with generous leave (29 leave days, pro rata, and Bank holidays).
- Work from home with occasional meetings in person in Cambridge where possible.
- Participation in the NEST pension scheme with a generous Employer contribution to the pension pot.
- Meaningful work in a right livelihood context.
- Employee discounts on Windhorse Publications’ books.
Windhorse Publications is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from Buddhist candidates of all backgrounds and experiences.
Are you interested?
Please submit a CV (no longer than 4 pages) and letter explaining why you’re interested in the post, and how your skills and experience match the work. Please also include the names, contact details and nature of your relationship with at least 2 referees.
Closing date for Applications: 22 September 2023
If you’d like to discuss the role, please email dhammamegha [at] windhorsepublications.com (Dhammamegha)