A Buddhist Way Through the Ups and Downs of Life: Live Q & A (The Dharma Toolkit Daily, Episode 11)On Tue, 7 April, 2020 - 00:41
As part of our week-long Home Retreat on ‘Sailing the Worldly Winds - A Buddhist Way Through the Ups and Downs of Life’, we are delighted to host here for a live online Q & A, Vajragupta the author and Dharma teacher behind the retreat itself.
A great, wide-ranging and practical discussion about what this classic Buddhist teaching has to say to us about caring for ourselves and each other during the current coronavirus / Covid-19 pandemic. And what communities can do to try and make sure the world does not simply forget all that’s being learned when the crisis is finally over.
Topics discussed are:
- Naming the worldly winds in your own way
- Gain and loss at the heart of change
- Where does fear come in?
- What can you do when the winds are blowing strongly? Spaciousness and reflection
- Considering pleasure and pain as the basis of all the winds; each of the pairs as possible root factors; fame and celebrity
- Poem - ‘This is the time to be slow’ by John O’Donohue
- The place of beauty in our response
- The intimacy of care for others - engaging as fully as we can
- Working with hyperactive thought processes (papanca) in meditation
- No expectations, only possibilities - control and influence in relation to the worldly winds
- Connections between the five hindrances in meditation and the worldly winds
- Joy and pain are woven fine - potentially hopeful aspects around the consequences of the pandemic
- Human beings forget very easily - the urgent value of commuinity and conditions as a context for remembering what matters
- Final thoughts on keeping your practice going
Check out our Dharma Toolkit space for details of all we have on offer to help you make it through the weirdness and stay inspired.
Theme music by Ackport! Used with kind permission.
News, event coverage, mantras and rituals, Dharma conversations among diverse voices from the Triratna Buddhist Community around the world, keeping you up-to-date with the latest in our sangha.
Subscribe to our Buddhist Voices Podcast: On Apple Podcasts | On others podcast networks
Our longer form podcast, featuring great in-depth conversations with Buddhists from around the world. Inspiring stories that illuminate for modern times the Buddha’s example of how to live and find true freedom.