Dharmachakra and the Rebirth of Free Buddhist Audio (The Buddhist Centre Podcast, Episode 438)On Sat, 18 February, 2023 - 18:52
Dharmachakra has been a going concern since Dharmachari Ananda first strapped a reel-to-reel tape recorder on his back in London in 1967 to record the first public lectures by Urgyen Sangharakshita under the auspices of the then Friends of the Western Buddhist Order. It has evolved over the decades to become an amazing Triratna Right Livelihood team – most importantly, a team of friends, working online together across the globe to bring the world the best of Buddhism and meditation from our new Buddhist Community.
We hear from the team in Mexico City, the United Kingdom and the United States about their work on the brand new Free Buddhist Audio, recently relaunched in its third major version for mobile devices with an archive that has swelled in 15+ years from 450 titles to over 5,500. Some magic recommendations follow (see the prodigious show notes below) – but also an evocation of the importance of working together, of taking part in a lineage of practice, and of passing on to the next generation the many treasures of the Dharma. At its best, the new FBA is just this: a chest of jewels, rich and surprising, whose light illuminates not just our history as modern Buddhists and how far we have come, but shows the way to the future of Buddhism as it adapts to new contexts, countries, languages and cultures.
Take a deep dive with us into a world of outstanding generosity, amazing technology, and beautiful collective effort over many years to bring the words of the Buddha and the voices of diverse community to life online. Dharmachakra may already be a great Triratna institution – and Free Buddhist Audio a much loved resource and space online – but it’s just getting started.
- The Transitoriness of Life and the Certainty of Death by Vajradarshini
- Rambles Around Reality by Subhuti
- Rambles Around Consciousness by Subhuti
- Rambles Around the Yogachara by Subhuti
- Talks on White Tara
- Talks by Vajrashura
- Talks by Vajratara
Dayaketu’s (David’s) picks
- Seminar texts on Life and Liberation of Padmasambhava (1987): Cantos 37 & 39
- Seminar texts on Life and Liberation of Padmasambhava (1987): Canto 38
- Sevenfold Puja by Sangharakshita (1968)
- Sangharakshita’s poetry
- Talks from Cuernavaca Buddhist Centre, Mexico
- Talks in Spanish
- Mind Reactive, Mind Creative by Sangharakshita (1967)
- The Inconceivable Emancipation - Themes from the Vimalakirti Nirdesha by Sangharakshita (1979)
- Sangharakshita’s Memoirs (audiobooks) | Sangharakshita’s Memoirs (books from Windhorse Publications)
- Talks on The White Lotus Sutra
- Ritual and Devotion in Buddhism by Sangharakshita (1967)
- Readings from the Pali Canon by Sangharakshita (2000)
- Mind and Mental Events - A Series by Subhuti
- Seven-Point Mind Training - A Series by Dhammadinna
- Brahma Viharas and the Key Moment by Kulaprabha
- Becoming a Citizen of the Present by Srivati
- Early talks by Sangharakshita
- Late talks by Sangharakshita
News, event coverage, mantras and rituals, Dharma discussion with diverse guests from the Triratna Buddhist Community around the world, keeping you up-to-date with the latest in our sangha.
Our long form podcast, featuring great in-depth conversations with Buddhists from around the world. Inspiring stories that illuminate for modern times the Buddha’s example of how to live and find true freedom.